I Have Two...

When I get into a taxi I usually try to practice my Indonesian by talking with the taxi driver.  My bahasa is terrible but I try.  Indonesians are so kind, encouraging and happy that I am speaking their language.

I like to ask easy questions about family and where they are from knowing they will probably ask the same questions of me.  One particular evening on the way home from my physical therapy appointment (the reason for that is another story for another time) I decided to engage in conversation with the Go-Jek driver.  Here is how it went though I will translate it to English to spare you the effort and pain of reading my broken language skills.


ME:  [Apa kabar?]  How are you?

DRIVER:  [Baik. Dan bapak?]  Good. And you?

ME:  [Baik.  Terima Kasih. Apakah anda punya anak-anak?]  Good.  Thank you.  Do you have children?  (a common question in Indonesia)

In anticipation of his question to me about MY KIDS I prepared the response in my head. 
Ya.  Saya punya dua.

DRIVER:  [Ya.  Saya punya satu.  Apakah anda punya istri?]  Yes.  I have one.

ME:  [Ya.  Saya punya dua.]  Yes.  I have two.

The driver turns around in his seat and with both hands off the wheel gives me two big thumbs up.
DRIVER:  BAGUS!!!!! (NICE!!!!)

I thought it was odd that he was so happy for me having two children and I felt a bit bad for not being more elated that he had one child.

ME:  [Anda punya satu anak.  Itu bagus juga.] . You have one child.  That is nice too.

DRIVER:  [Satu istri di Amerika dan satu istri di Surabaya?] . You have one in America and one from Surabaya?

ME: [Tidak. dua ada disini.] No.  Both of them are here.
DRIVER: looking at me like I am a rock star  BAGUS!!!!

At this point I am really confused about why it is so amazing that I have two kids here in Surabaya.  I pull out my phone to check what istri means because I doubt my understanding due to his enthusiasm and realize that istri means WIFE.   

Oops...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NAMES NEEDED